EXPRESSING CERTAINTY AND UNCERTAINTY


    Certainty is the state of being completely confident or having no doubt about something. However, uncertainty is when nothing is ever decided or sure
.

Expressing certainty
    When you are sure that something will or will not happen in the future, use these expressions.
        For example to the question:

        "Will John pass the exam?"

        you may respond as follows:

        - Yes, I'm absolutely sure
        - quite sure
        - certain
        - positive he will.
        - definitely.
        - certainly.
        - of course.

        or

        - No, I'm absolutely sure
        - quite sure
        - certain
        - positive he won't.
        - definitely not.
        - certainly not.
        - of course not.

Expressing uncertainty
    When you are not sure whether something or someone wil or will not happen, use the following expressions.

        For example, to the question:

        "Will John follow a career in business?"

        you may respond as follows:
        -Well, it's possible,
        - it's impossible,
        - it might be,
        - it might not be,
        - it could happen,
        - I supose,     but     I wouldn't like to say for certain.
        - I'm not sure
        - I doubt it.
        - I have my own doubts.
        - it's doubtful.
        - It's highly / very unlikely.
        - you never know of course,
        - no one can know for certain.
        - I can't tell you for sure.
Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar